Скачать 404.81 Kb.
Question: Describe the various Causes of poverty.
Answers by: Carlos
1. Erosion - Intensive farming leads to a cycle of exhaustion of soil fertility.
2. Desertification – 40% of the world’s agricultural land is degraded.
3. Droughts – lack of water supply.
4. Unemployment – People with no jobs can’t make money to escape poverty.
5. Overpopulation – Too many people without enough resources to support them.
6. Lack of access to birth control – leads to overpopulation.
7. Natural disasters – hurricanes, floods, tsunamis, earthquakes.
8. Education – without access to good education, people can’t get high paying jobs.
9. Inflation – Prices rise and people can’t afford to buy things.
10. Health Care – Poor access to affordable health care makes individuals more
vulnerable to poverty.
11. Malnutrition – Without food during childhood, it undermines the ability of
individuals to develop their full human capabilities.
12. Addictions – People will use money to feed their addiction thus leading to poverty.
13. Gambling – People risk losing all their money for a chance to win money.
14. Governance - High levels of corruption undermine efforts to make a sustainable
impact on poverty.
15. War – leads to economic depression.
16. Diseases – AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria afflict developing nations.
17. Depression – loss of confidence and interest in usual activities.
18. Famine – No food leads to starvation
19. Disabilities – Lack of the ability to work.
20. Lack of technology – inefficient crop production.
Question: Describe Canada’s shift from being under the British Sphere of Influence to being under the American Sphere of Influence from 1914-2000.
Answers by: Oleg
Canada had no choice whether or no join the war, it just had to do what ever Britain tell them to.
Canada had its own seats in the Paris Peace Conference and wasn’t simply represented by Britain
1925 election, Liberals were in power of minority government (King leader). Conservatives called a motion of center to vote against King’s government. King asked governor general Viscount Byng to call another election. Byng refused, but than was forced to do it. King was mad and said that it was not cool for someone appointed by Britain to not follow the advice of Prime Minister elected by Canadians. King won. Since, no Governor General acted against wishes of PM.
Signed by Britain and all its colonies that they are autonomic. Canada became equal to America.
Canada refused to help Britain to invade Turkey
Canada has its own art, its own way of seeing thing different from Britain (Emily Carr).
Canada has its own rule/beliefs about liquor.
Most of the radio station listened to in Canada are American.
Much of Canada’s liquor industry depends on American criminals.
Canada followed American ways of thinking and started its own KKK.
A lot of US movies and television are really popular in Canada and put Canadian film industry out of the competition.
During 1920s US investments in Canada’s economy raised it even became higher than investments of Britain. P.57
Since Canada didn’t have any kind of car industry most of the cars and machinery used in Canada were from US. The Big Three: ford, general motors and Chrysler
Canada and US had the same stock market and when it collapsed both countries were affected.
US started to invest a lot of money into Canadian businesses. By 1956, 68% of Canada’s industry was owned by America. US firms controlled more than half of all manufacturing in Canada.p.171.
During the cold war US build many stations in Canada to spy on Soviet attack.
1992- Canada signed free trade agreement with US and Mexico. Meaning there would not be any tariffs or taxes put on the goods imported/exported between these countries.
Canada exports a lot of electricity to America.
People in Canada depend on food companies to make cheaper food.
Canada has its own charter of rights and freedoms independent from Britain.